Paying Less for Summer Heat, 6 Tips to Lower Cooling Costs
Are you trying to save money on your energy bills and still want all the comfort that comes with running your air conditioner this summer?
Some of the most effective things you can do are easy and only take a minimal effort. So, whether it is to just save a little money or even if it is just to be a little more kind to the environment, here are a few tips to help.
- 1. Use drapes, shades or blind over your windows during sunlight hours to reduce the amount of heat that the sun infiltrates.
- 2. If you do not have a ceiling fan in your home, consider installing one near your air conditioner. A fan will keep the airflow steady. As a cheaper option, you should consider purchasing a standing fan that would fulfill the same purpose as a ceiling fan.
- 3. Thoroughly clean or replace air conditioner filters each spring through a service provider like Raymond Plumbing & Heating. Filters should be cleaned monthly during the cooling season and once every other month the rest of the year. Doing so can save 5 percent of the energy used, because a dirty or clogged filter means the air conditioner must work harder to provide the same amount of cool air.
- 4. Make sure to have a spring (for air conditioning) and fall (for heating) maintenance check done by a local utilities service provider. Keeping your systems in peak performance will always save on energy costs. If you are in the West side of Cleveland to Lorain Ohio area, consider us at Raymond Plumbing & Heating.
- 5. When you are away from your home, lower the speed of the air conditioners’ fan. Your home will remain cool and you will be using less energy.
- 6. Make sure there is good airflow around your unit. Keep the outside unit clear of plants and keep grass clippings, cotton wood and leaves off the coil.
These tips and others can be found at www.purityplanet.com. We, at Raymond hope you find them useful and cost-effective for your home comfort.
Join us on the web on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook for discounts and insider tips!